Chelsea - Stamford Bridge
Chelsea Football Club
Chelsea Facebook Page
Chelsea Twitter Page
Chelsea Official Website
Last match I went to see: Chelsea 2-1 Gillingham, Wednesday 6th November 2002, League Cup.
HISTORY/FACTS ABOUT CHELSEA:
- Chelsea were formed on the 10th March 1905. Since forming, they have been at their current ground Stamford Bridge ever since.
- Their first major success as a club came in 1955, when they won the League Championship.
- The club's major period of success have come in the last 2 decades, winning 21 trophies since the late 90's, which include Premier League titles, FA Cups, League Cups, and so on.
- They won the Champions League in 2012 after beating Bayern Munich on penalties. The winning penalty was scored by Didier Drogba. They are also the only London club to win the Champions League.
- After winning the 1st Division in 1955, they then won the League again but not until 2005, after a 2-0 win at Bolton Wanderers confirmed them as Champions. Chelsea won the title in the end on 95 points.
- Russian Billionaire, Roman Abramovich bought the club in 2003 for £140 million.
- Rivalries include the West London derbies with QPR, Fulham and Brentford. Other rivalries include London rivalries such as Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur. Also Chelsea have a rivalry with Leeds United since the 1960's.
VISIT 1: Chelsea 2-1 Gillingham 6/11/02
My only visit to a game at Stamford Bridge so far was back in 2002 when Gillingham played Chelsea in the League Cup, or better known nowadays as the Capital One Cup, where it finished 2-1 to Chelsea, Carlton Cole got both of their goals and Marlon King scored for us in the 90th minute to pull one back but Chelsea went through. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from the game, but I did do a tour of Chelsea whilst Gills didn't play in March 2014. Stamford Bridge is fairly easy to get to, 5 minute walk from the nearest tube station which is Fulham Broadway.