Tuesday 30 May 2017

Borough Sports Ground - Sutton United

Sutton United - Borough Sports Ground











Sutton United Football Club
Borough Sports Ground
Gander Green Lane
Sutton
Surrey
SM1 2EY








HISTORY/FACTS ABOUT SUTTON UNITED:

  • Sutton United were formed on 5th March 1898 and play in Amber and Black.
  • Sutton's ground, Gander Green Lane opened in 1912 and Sutton have been playing there ever since.
  • Sutton United are well known for having great cup runs, especially as they are well known for beating Coventry City in 1989 who at the time were in the Premier League had a crowd of 8,000 to see it happen.
  • Sutton had a most recent cup run by reaching the 5th Round of the FA Cup for the first time ever in their history by beating the likes of Cheltenham Town, AFC Wimbledon and Leeds United along the way. They eventually got knocked out by Arsenal in the 5th Round, losing 2-0.
  • Sutton have made 3 Wembley appearances in their time as a football club, all 3 ending up the losing side each time, losing against Bishop's Stortford, North Shields and Wimbledon.
  • Rivalries include Carshalton Athletic, AFC Wimbledon, Kingstonian, Woking, Bromley and Tooting & Mitcham.
  • Sutton United's most famous fan is comedian Tim Vine.




MY VISITS:

VISIT 1: Sutton United 1-1 Lincoln City 28/3/17









FIRST VISIT TO SUTTON UNITED:

Sutton United 1-1 Lincoln City
Tuesday 28th March 2017
Vanarama Conference





My 1st visit to Sutton's Borough Sports Ground came about as between now and end of the season, I'd like to try and do as many Saturday - Tuesday games in a week as I possibly can. After checking the fixtures as I do on Soccerway, the only really one that appealed to me and more I could get to was of course this game, Sutton vs Lincoln. It needed ticking off, plus I fancied a trip to Sutton anyway. I didn't do much research before the game except I knew ex Gills defender Dean Beckwith plays for Sutton, and I previously watched Sutton the week before at Maidstone and the week before that I watched Lincoln at Braintree so knew what to expect from both sides. I expected Lincoln to go and get the points at Sutton but wasn't to be.








Sutton's most famous win at Gander Green Lane against Coventry City in 1989.







So, the night before comes, and after checking out my route to Sutton, I could have gone 2 ways, from London Bridge to Sutton, then to West Sutton, or Waterloo to Wimbledon, then onto West Sutton, but decided for the Waterloo route instead, mainly because my train into London for some reason didn't stop at London Bridge around that time but thought it was quicker from Waterloo anyway so didn't matter too much. Anyway, after leaving home after half 4ish, I got into London for about half 5, and got into Wimbledon just before 6. Decided to go to Ladbrokes and do some bets on the Greyhounds as lately it's been a fun thing to do and came away in profit but not too much in profit. 1 Race I put a couple of quid on Awesome Harry to win, and luckily he won and got 8 quid back so wasn't too bad. I did 2 more races after that, 1 coming 2nd and the other didn't even finish haha. So after coming away from Ladbrokes in Wimbledon in profit, I eventually got to West Sutton just after 7 and not within a 5 minute walk, got to the ground shortly after as the station is fairly close to the ground. The game itself, it probably wasn't the greatest of games, but 2 teams wanted to win it for sure and cancelled each other out. Lincoln took the lead with 9 minutes to go from substitute Elliott Whitehouse with a terrific header which saw Lincoln fans go absolutely wild (I was in the Lincoln end) but celebrations didn't last long as in the 93rd minute, Roarie Deacon equalised for Sutton to break Lincoln's hearts and get a valuable point. Deacon's also a player I was fairly impressed with when I saw him play at Maidstone the previous week. In the end, it's probably a fair result but another ground off the list and a bit of footy so which I was delighted with. Anyway, afterwards I eventually got home just after half 11, so wasn't too bad.





Sutton's most recent FA Cup journey to the 5th Round by getting knocked out by Premier League Arsenal.



































No comments:

Post a Comment